First and foremost I am a mother, home-maker and 'change maker'. I have a portfolio career, all underpinned by one core philosophy - to make life better, by empowering us all to be ourselves.
As James Victore says “Your purpose is to figure out who you are."
I am passionate about finding a way to help us all live a more sustainable life, I call this my ‘Third Way'. To help us re-define what success looks like, to live more authentic lives and to be our 'whole' selves.
"Your biggest fear is not spiders or sharks - it's you. It's the fear of expressing who you are - lest someone actually see you.“ James Victore
And that is where the real problem lies, if we do not allow our true selves to be seen, we will never lead the life that we are meant to. And that leaves us with something far worse than fear - regret.
So I feel the fear and do it anyway - each and everyday by living my Third Way.
On a practical level that means:
1. Helping organisations achieve the 'seemingly impossible' and experience genuine transformation, driven by engaged and motivated people.
2. Showing up and owning up, sharing my stories and challenges honestly, via blogging and vlogging, to help others embrace theirs and be their true selves.
3. Helping individuals to rise, find their way forward through discovery sessions, a combination of coaching and consulting techniques.
4. Being a student of life, constantly learning about better ways to live our lives, both at work and play, to share that knowledge and to help create curious and empathetic leaders - which we all have the ability to be, regardless of gender, age, seniority, function or anything else for that matter.
5. Running an artisan fashion and design business, to encourage us all to be ourselves and at the same time, respect our planet by recycling and up cycling.
My career has two acts, before and after my break, which I took to focus on my children and recover from PND, but I also experienced grief, discovered what mortality really meant and learnt a lot about this mad this called life.
I practice the management philosophy 'Teal', brought to life beautifully by Frederick Laloux, I follow the work of Dave Trott, James Victore, Dan Pink, Corporate Rebels, Claude Silver, Gabrielle Bernstein, Mark Manson, Kathryn Mannix and Brene Brown, to name but a few. If they enable me to 'build on the shoulders of giants' and make the world a better place, I'm interested.
I’m an eccentric trying to make the most of my life and that of others, each and every day.
Nikdavis.com has a facebook group, a place to have a conversation, about difficult and sensitive issues - the menopause, grief, addiction, depression, judgement, shame and anything else lurking in the shadows that needs bringing out into the light . To use our collective knowledge to help others tread where they may not have been before. Our rules - be kind, be honest and be you x https://www.facebook.com/groups/285898015282
Don't just talk about something, find a way to do it, make it happen.
Get out there, be seen and be heard.
What's the worst that can happen? You get a no or you get ignored, so what - eventually someone, somewhere will say yes.
You will always belong - to yourself, if others want to join you without trying to compromise or change you, that's fine.
It's your life and your story. You get to own it and write the ending.
You may not get to deal the hand, but you can sure as hell play the life out of it.